Agriculture Liaison Committee
Constitution and Mandate
- The role of the ALC shall be to assist and advise the Commission in its work.
- The Terms of Reference for the Agriculture Liaison Committee comprise generic and specific aspects.
- Provide technical advice to the Commission on agriculture and other related matters.
- Monitor the implementation of the SACU Agreement and its Annexes in so far as they relate to agriculture and other related matters, with a view to advise Commission.
- Support and facilitate the establishment and operation of SACU institutions provided for in the SACU Agreement.
- Facilitate the development and propose amendments to Annexes relating to agriculture and other related matters.
- Appoint task teams, where necessary, to facilitate the work of the ALC.
- Carry out all duties and perform all functions assigned to it by the Commission.
- Make proposals, from time to time, to Commission for any amendments to the Terms of Reference.
- Provide technical advice on matters affecting production, consumption, marketing and trade in agricultural products.
- Investigate research, implement and make recommendations on commodity-specific development strategies, aspects of harmonization of agricultural policies, agricultural product standards and technical regulations.
- Provide technical advice on sanitary and phytosanitary issues, GMOs, and technical barriers to trade.
- Consult on new Marketing Regulations as well as amendments to existing Marketing Regulations in terms of Article 29, with a view to ensure that these Marketing Arrangements are implemented in a disciplined, non-discriminatory, transparent and coordinated manner.
- Advise on the application of the Infant Industry Protection provision and develop modalities for the application of the measure.
- Monitor and facilitate bilateral consultations between Member States concerning Agriculture.
OPERATIONS OF THE ALC
- The ALC shall adhere to and conduct its business according to the Rules of Procedure on the operation of SACU Institutions.