SACU Transport Liaison Committees
Constitution and Mandate
- The role of the TLC shall be to assist and advise the Commission in its work.
- The Terms of Reference for the Transport Liaison Committee comprises generic and specific aspects.
- Provide technical advice to the Commission on transport and other related matters.
- Monitor the implementation of the SACU Agreement and its Annexes in so far as they relate to transport and other related matters, with a view to advise Commission.
- Support and facilitate the establishment and operation of SACU institutions provided for in the SACU Agreement.
- Facilitate the development and propose amendments to Annexes relating to transport and other related matters.
- Appoint task teams, where necessary, to facilitate the work of the TLC.
- Carry out all duties and perform all functions assigned to it by the Commission.
- Make proposals, from time to time, to Commission for any amendments to the Terms of Reference.
- Facilitate an integrated and seamless conveyance of goods and passengers with a view to reducing transportation costs and transit times.
- Facilitate easier access and promote simplification and harmonization of procedures for land-locked Member States to port facilities.
- Promote the application of equal treatment to the national transport providers of Member States with regard to the provision, access and use of infrastructure, customs and immigration clearance procedures.
- Promote effective utilization of all modes of transport to encourage complimentarity and efficiency in the region.
- Facilitate cooperation and mutual assistance among the respective authorities involved in the conveyance of goods and passengers within SACU.
- Facilitate the simplification and harmonization of all policies, laws, regulations, procedures and administrative measures pertaining to the conveyance of goods and passengers within SACU.
- Facilitate the development of a programme of cooperation in transport and other related matters.
- Promote the exchange of information pertaining to transport matters.
OPERATIONS OF THE TLC
- The TLC shall conduct its business in line with the Rules of Procedure for the Technical Liaison Committees approved by Council.