SACU Trade and Industry Liaison Committee
Constitution and Mandate
- The role of the TILC shall be to assist and advise the Commission in its work.
- The Terms of Reference for the Trade and Industry Liaison Committee comprise generic and specific aspects.
- Provide technical advice to the Commission on trade and industry and other related matters.
- Monitor the implementation of the SACU Agreement and its Annexes in so far as they relate to trade and industry and other related matters, with a view to advise Commission.
- Support and facilitate the establishment and operation of SACU institutions provided for in the SACU Agreement.
- Facilitate the development and propose amendments to Annexes relating to trade and industry and other related matters.
- Appoint task teams, where necessary, to facilitate the work of the TILC.
- Carry out all duties and perform all functions assigned to it by the Commission.
- Make proposals, from time to time, to Commission for any amendments to the Terms of Reference.
- Assist in the development and implementation of common policies and strategies for SACU in so far as they relate to trade and industry matters.
- Assist in the formulation of a SACU tariff policy.
- Assist in the development of policies and instruments to facilitate cooperation in the area of competition among SACU Member States.
- Provide policy advice to Commission.
- Assist in the formulation of policies to enhance economic development, diversification, industrialization and competitiveness of Member States.
- Assist Commission in the evaluation of applications for new membership to the Customs Union.
OPERATIONS OF THE TILC
- The TILC shall conduct its business in line with the Rules of Procedure for the Technical Liaison Committees approved by Council.